Last Updated: June, 2021
© BMW Canada Inc.
1. How We Collect Your Information
We collect your information from the following sources:
- information you give us when you set up an account or fill out forms online;
- information you provide to us when you visit one of our dealerships or service centres and complete sales, leasing, financing or service transactions, and information you provide to us when you make customer service inquiries or fill out applications or surveys;
- information you provide to us, over the phone, email, text or other media when you interact with a member of our team; or
- information that we collect automatically when you visit our website, such as information about your browser settings and other information collected through cookies.
2. How We Use and Disclose Your Information
- We use your information to provide products and services to you and to manage our business operations. For example, we use your information in order to process your applications for credit or financing, complete service, sales and leasing transactions, answer your inquiries, provide you with information about your vehicles including warranty and recall notifications, authenticate you when you contact us with inquiries about your vehicles or service history, prevent loss and fraud, and analyze our business operations and website performance.
- We use your information for marketing and promotional purposes, including with our promotional partners.
- We combine all the information we collect other than information relating to your browsing history.
- We share information we collect with the manufacturers of the vehicles sold and serviced at our dealerships, including their partners and affiliates, and with other third parties to assist us in our operations and to provide services to you. These third parties may be located outside of Canada and may be subject to laws that are different from those in Canada.
3. How You Can Manage your Information
- You are free to change your communication preferences with respect to e-mail, text and phone communications we make to you from time to time for promotional purposes by contacting our Privacy Officer, by phone 1-833-777-2217, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org at any time.
- To unsubscribe from receiving promotional or marketing communications from us, simply email “unsubscribe” to email@example.com, and you shall be removed from our list. Please note that it takes up to 10 days to remove you from our list.
- You may also choose to withdraw your consent from our further use of your information. We may, however, retain information about your previous transactions for audit purposes, to ensure the integrity of our data and to fulfill legal requirements.
- If you set up an account through one of our websites, you will be able to manage, amend and delete the personal information stored in the account, or close the account at any time.
4. How to Contact Us
To access your information, or if you have a privacy question or concern, please contact our Privacy Officer by phone 1-833-777-2217, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. About Us
The dealership you visited online, in person, or communicated with over the phone, email, text or other media is owned and operated by the Policaro Group. For more information about the Policaro Group, please visit our website at www.policaro.ca.
We are committed to protecting your personal information and your privacy in accordance with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA). We are responsible for your personal information under our control and have appointed a Privacy Officer who is accountable for our personal information handling practices.
If you have a question or complaint about our personal information handling practices, please contact our Privacy Officer by phone at 1-833-777-2217, or by email at email@example.com.
2. Effective Date and Scope
Porsche Centre Oakville
If you have any questions about our privacy practices or your information, at any of the above noted locations, please contact our Privacy Officer at the contact information provided above, and let us know which location you are interested in learning more about.
3. What Personal Information Do We Collect?
Personal information is information about an identifiable individual. It is information that identifies you or could be combined by us or our service providers and affiliates with other information to identify you. This information includes your personal e-mail address, your home address, your home telephone number, your personal cellphone number, your image, credit card or financial information, your social insurance number or driver’s license number and may include your age, your income, and other similar information when associated with you. Personal information may also be information containing details as to whether you have opened our promotional e-mails or how you have used our websites, if we can associate that personal information with you. If you are a business customer or prospective business customer, personal information does not include your title, business address and business telephone number when we use that information to contact you in your business capacity.
The information we collect from you depends on the nature of the services provided to you. We collect personal information from you when you inquire about our products and services, create an account, make a purchase or complete a service transaction, enter a contest or promotion, communicate with us using our web forms to make a request or ask a question, submit a review, take a survey or otherwise submit personal information to us with your communication. For example, we may request credit card and other identifying information to process a credit card transaction, or we may request your Social Insurance Number, our drivers’ license number, insurance information, employment history or other information to complete a credit check or the purchase of a new vehicle. If you intend to purchase products online, we will request credit card and other identifying information to process a credit card, and we will also ask you for contact information in order to ship your product to you or the recipient that you designate.
We receive personal information about you from other sources. For example, we may receive information from credit card processors regarding whether the credit card details you gave us have been accepted or declined. We may receive information from financial institutions or credit bureaus to determine whether you have been approved for financing. We may also receive information from the manufacturer of your vehicle related to your service and warranty history for example.
5. How Do We Use Your Personal Information?
We use your information to provide products and services and to manage our business operations. Some examples include:
- to register your account;
- to authenticate you when you log into your account;
- to complete sales, leasing, credit, service, or warranty transactions;
- to complete online transactions including purchases;
- to provide you with information about your vehicle, and your sales, leasing, credit, service or warranty transaction history with us;
- to fulfill your requests for information about our products and services;
- to communicate with you about your requests;
- to administer contests and promotions that you participate in;
- to recommend or to offer you other products and services;
- to post your product and service reviews; and
- to communicate with you regarding customer service issues and any product recalls or warranty service.
We retain your information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which we collected the information or as required by law. We maintain a records retention and destruction program to destroy information when it is no longer needed or required.
6. Online Accounts
If you register for an account through one of our websites, you will be able to choose what information you store in the account, such as your home and shipping address and credit card information in order to facilitate future purchases.
You can access, modify or delete your information by logging into your account and making the requested changes. You may also choose to close your account and we will remove your account information from active use. If you do not re-activate your account within 3 months, we will permanently delete your account. You may also contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to make an account deletion request.
Please note that we may still maintain information that you provided to us for audit purposes or to comply with our legal obligations. We may also de-identify your information in order to continue to use it for research and analytics purposes to understand our businesses, to make product improvements and to make available to third parties. We prohibit our employees and third parties from attempting to re-identify information that we have de-identified.
7. Personalized Offers and Web Analytics
We also automatically collect information when you visit our websites in order to customize your experience. For example, we may collect information about what site referred you to our websites, your browser type, operating system type and version, language, and your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address. We also collect information about how you browse through our websites, including logging the pages you visit and the amount of time you spend on certain pages. We use this information for a number of technical purposes to ensure that our pages load correctly in your browser, as well as to personalize our offers to you. We also use this information to improve our websites. For example:
- we use IP addresses to correct pages for your geographical location;
- we log the frequency of visits to certain pages on our websites and how visitors navigate through our websites in order to detect problems, improve our websites and learn about what products and services are of interest to our customers;
- we use information about products that you have clicked on to make suggestions about other products or services that you might be interested in viewing; and
- we track whether certain types of promotional e-mails were opened by you and whether you sought information about a particular product or service in order to make inferences about other products and services you might be interested in.
8. Cookies and Interest Based Advertising
Our websites may use small pixel files (small images) and cookies (small text files) to keep track of your browser so that you will be recognized when you visit other websites where our third-party ad management providers may show you advertisements from us based on your visit to our websites. Some of these advertisements may be customized to particular products and services that you viewed or they may be based on inferences about products and services that you might be interested in. This is called “interest-based advertising”.
9. Disclosure of Your Personal Information to Third Parties
We do not sell or rent your personal information to any third parties. We may share your personal information with our service providers and our affiliates that help us with our business operations, including marketing and promotional services, data processing and storage, or with credit reporting agencies, financial institutions and other organizations which assist us in providing sales, leasing and other services to you. We may also share your personal information with other third parties including the manufacturer of your vehicle, which may share your personal information with its affiliates, including other dealerships for example. The collection and use of your personal information by third parties is subject to their respective privacy policies.
We require our service providers to keep your personal information secure. In addition, our service providers may not use or disclose personal information for any purpose other than providing the services on our behalf unless we or they have obtained your consent.
We may transfer any information we have about you in connection with a merger or sale (including transfers made as part of insolvency or bankruptcy proceedings) involving all or part of our business or as part of a corporate reorganization, share or asset purchase or other change in corporate control.
We may also disclose your personal information if it is necessary for us to collect a debt from you or where we have reason to believe that it is relevant to the investigation or decision to investigate a breach of the laws of Canada, a province or territory of Canada, or a foreign jurisdiction, and we are legally permitted to do so.
10. Links to Third-Party Websites and Social Network Plug-Ins
11. Law Enforcement Requests
We may disclose personal information without your knowledge or consent if required by law, including without limitation, if we receive an order, subpoena, warrant or other legal requirement issued by a court, tribunal, regulator or other person with jurisdiction to compel disclosure of your personal information.
12. Storage Outside of Canada
Your personal information may be used or stored by us or our service providers outside of Canada. We require that our service providers safeguard your personal information. However, if your personal information is used or stored outside of Canada, it will also be subject to the laws of the country in which it is used or stored.
13. Protecting Your Personal Information
We take administrative, technical and physical measures to safeguard your personal information against unauthorized access, unauthorized disclosure, theft and misuse. This includes limiting access of employees to, and the use of, your personal information through the use of passwords and graduated levels of clearance. We do not publish all of our security measures online because this may reduce their effectiveness.
Although we take precautions against possible breaches of our security systems, no company can fully eliminate the risks of unauthorized access to your personal information and no website is completely secure. We cannot guarantee that unauthorized access, hacking, data loss or breaches of our security systems will never occur. Accordingly, you should not transmit personal information to us using our websites if you consider that information to be sensitive.
14. Withdrawing Consent and Opting-Out
You may choose to withdraw your consent or opt-out from receiving marketing or promotional electronic messages from us, at any time, by clicking through the unsubscribe links included in such messages.
Requests related to marketing and promotional activities, will be processed no later than ten (10) days of any such request. For all other requests, we will process them as is reasonably practicable.
Please note that even if you have withdrawn your consent, or opted-out from receiving marketing or promotional materials from us, we may still contact you from time to time, as may be required or permissible by law, such as to provide you with recall information about your vehicle.
15. Access, Correction and Deletion of Your Personal Information
You have the right to access, update, correct inaccuracies and delete your personal information in our custody and control, subject to certain exception prescribed by law. If you have questions or concerns about the personal information we have collected about you and would like assistance in accessing, updating, correcting and deleting that information, please contact our Privacy Officer by phone at 1-833-777-2217, or by email at email@example.com. We will try to complete your request as is reasonably practicable.
17. Visitors to our Websites from Outside of Canada